Friday, November 2, 2007

In the beginning

I am a rodeo announcer living in Wyoming. I spent last summer driving to rodeos in Colorado to pursue the dream of announcing professionally and being able to make a living at it. I would leave on Wednesday mornings after my wife went to work and my son was at daycare. I spent Wednesday morning on the road and announced in Snowmass Village,CO that night. I was fortunate enough to have another rodeo on Thursday night just 30 miles away in Carbondale, CO. I spent the night in Snowmass and headed down the road to Carbondale on Thursday morning.

The good folks (and they really are fantastic people!) at the Carbondale Wild West Rodeo Series chose to have a Tough Enough To Wear Pink event to produce funds and awareness for Breast Cancer and Susan G. Komen For The Cure in Aspen, CO. I was immediately drawn to this event and worked very hard for months researching info to make the night a great success. I really busted my butt for this and the rodeo was great. Unfortunately...it rained that night .....and rained and rained and rained. Noah drove by during the barrel racing....it Rained! We did the best we could, raised cash AND awareness and made some new friends in the process.

After the time and energy I put into the Tough Enough To Wear Pink night I figured that I had probably earned some "Karma Kredits".

I was wrong.

On Thursday October 25, 2007 my wife, Leslie, had a lump removed from her left breast. The following day we heard the word that no one wants to hear...cancer. We are in the early stages of this battle and aren't quite sure what to expect but I will update as we know more.For those of you that pray, please do. For those of you that don't, we will pray for you.

We are ready to win this fight.

1 comment:

Maura said...

Hi Mike: My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife, good friend. Maura